To all Priests and Religious Working in the Archdiocese of Lagos and the Lay faithful.
Dear Msgri./Frs., Brothers and Sisters in the Lord,
ON THE MAKING OF CATHOLIC HOSPITALS AVAILABLE TO GOVERNMENT FOR USE AS ISOLATION CENTRES
1. Our attention has been drawn to the statement of the Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 during the daily briefing of Monday 11th May, 2020 announcing that the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria has offered its 425 health facilities across the country to be used as Isolation Centres.
2. That announcement has generated anxiety among many people who use our Health facilities and those who manage them. We would like to state clearly that the health facilities would be used for that purpose only if States Governments formally request for their use from the Jurisdictions concerned and if it is mutually agreed that the facilities are suitable for the purpose.
3. So far, the Archdiocese has not been approached for the use of any of our health facilities. If and when the request is made and there is an agreement for its use, there would be adequate information given to everyone concerned.
4. We therefore urge all those who use our health facilities, as well as the management and staff to continue to go about their normal duties. The facilities remain open as usual and will continue to offer the quality services that they offer in a safe and secure environment. Let no one entertain the fear that they would contract Coronavirus by using any of our facilities.
5. While we await further development, we shall continue to pray that God would grant success to the ongoing efforts at containing the spread of this pandemic. We urge all our Archdiocesan health institutions to go about their normal activities and those who use them to be assured that they are safe and secure when they come to our premises.
+Alfred Adewale MARTINS
Archbishop of Lagos
12th May, 2020
See Other News & Events »